Author Topic: All these big sellers at 98.8% Feedback - what's the story?  (Read 17410 times)

ernest_price

All these big sellers at 98.8% Feedback - what's the story?
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »
Must be something to it. I've noticed quite a few sellers that are magically at 98.8% feedback, including a few beautiful people in Australia.

Is this the minimum that they need to be at to keep trading, or something else, or is this another Montello Moment? :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: All these big sellers at 98.8% Feedback - what's the story?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:27:14 AM »
It does seem strange - I noticed quite a few sellers in the 98 point something percent field just yesterday.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
I don't get the point Ernie.....When we researched powersellers at the height of all the frauds, we found that MANY of them were below 98.9% in f/back...somehow though....when the feedback changed, there scores all went up?  Now if you read the Powerseller mantra (and are silly enough to believe Ebay's guarantee that P/sellers are the 'cornerstone' of the ebay community), you'll note that they must maintain a certain level of f/back, but as far as I have noticed, it's not strictly enforced.  

Tello posted an Ebay US forum thread in bnwt's thread, speaking of this issue.....and the fact that the top p/sellers often have hundreds of negs, but it is explained away by volume of sales...whereas, smaller sellers generally tend towards having much fewer negs.....So....volume outweighs customer service 10-1.

If that's not what you are posting about.....do elaborate...lol

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »
Hi, Cupie - I think it's about the percentage being exactly 98.8 (which seems like a coincidence) over quite a few sellers.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
It's no coincidence at all...as I said, when we researched them and pointed out to the media that a majority of Ebau Au top sellers were in fact under 98.8 with hundreds of negs and neutrals, which is the minimum f/back score from memory (but I'll go check it out anyway).....all of a sudden overnight, their f/back changed to exactly 98.8 and above......none were below that score...we noticed it at the time and thought it was strange....and it is...as I said, I'll go check out the powerseller guarantee...that's where it was stated before.

cueperkins

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »
Not entirely correct....98% is the benchmark.....I might go and do some calculations on number of sales, vs f/back scores and see if it pans out to the rating various sellers are given.......Then bear in mind that some of these powersellers have HUNDREDS of negs and STILL, Ebay don't seem to be able to deduce from this that their guarantee re: provide a high level of service to their buyers is negated, irrespective of the percentage score...F/Trading don't give a damn about minimum feedback, they deal with each consumer complaint individually against any given trader...... and you can bet your bottom dollar if the hundreds of people who negged a seller actually lodged complaints....F/trading wouldn't consider that seller to be of 'High Standard' by any stretch of the imagination.

Earn the mark of a high-quality seller

When buyers see the Member is a PowerSeller icon next to a seller's user ID, they know they're working with a seller who ranks among the most successful sellers in terms of product sales and customer satisfaction on eBay. Members of the PowerSeller program get a range of special benefits, including prioritized customer support, promotional offers, eBay promotional merchandise, advanced selling education, opportunities to participate in research, and other special rewards.

To qualify for the PowerSeller program, sellers must consistently sell a significant volume of items, maintain a 98% positive Feedback rating and provide a high level of service to their buyers.

eBay assits PowerSellers with tools like Seller Dashboard, a quick reference guide to help you monitor your progress to achieve your goals.

cueperkins

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
This is an OP posted on the US boards (courtesy of Tello)
It makes some interesting points about Powersellers and their standard of service vs the little guy...

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Seller-Central/The-Real-Truththe/510121559

I have been perusing the message boards tonight and stumbled on this thread
Link

It got me to thinking about something....

eBay has been courting these big "Mega Sellers" and making all these policy changes under the auspices of buyer trust and security.

However this situation is a prime example of the damage that some of these "Mega Sellers" are doing to the buying customers.

If you check the stats on any one of the "Big Guys" you will find that they have a large number of negative feedback which is offset by the shear volume of sales every month.

BUT what is the true result of this situation.

Out of hundreds of monthly sales these "Mega Sellers" are racking up the negs.

Now take the little guys that post here regularly and gather enough of them together to equal the volume of monthly sales that just one of the "Mega Sellers" has and then compare the negative feedbacks.

You will see that on a comparison basis just ONE of those "Mega Sellers" is doing far more damage to the eBay image of trust and safety than any dozen small guys put together.

So, tell me, who is TRULY providing the best quality of service and products?

The Volume sellers or the "Mom & Pops"?

cueperkins

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »
This is also relevant to recent changes including 'best match' no doubt.

EBay to highlight top sellers to galvanize retail
Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25pm EDT
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE56Q3XE20090727

EBay Inc will slash fees by 20 percent for its top-rated sellers and push their listings higher up in the search queue, part of steps to try to rev up its long-stagnant Marketplaces arm.

The online giant is trying to revive growth in its main retail unit, whose auctions and fixed-price sales connect buyers and sellers. Its latest move, announced on Monday, is aimed at rewarding the most reputable sellers, who drive shoppers to the site and give top customer service.

San Jose, California-based eBay also said it would bestow on approximately 150,000 top sellers a "Top-Rated Seller" designation that buyers can search for on the site as they choose to conduct business with the most reputable.

Sellers eligible for that program, which launches in October in the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany, must conduct 100 transactions a year and post at least $3,000 in annual sales volume.

Those sellers must have a detailed seller rating of at least 4.6 out of a possible 5 -- a measure that encompasses criteria such as whether an item is described accurately, shipping time and cost.

"We've raised the bar on quality but we've lowered the volume requirements," said eBay spokesman Usher Lieberman. "With the lowered volume requirements we're able to welcome in a whole lot more smaller sellers."

Some 57 percent of the 150,000 to be designated top sellers did not previously qualify due to earlier volume requirements, Lieberman said.

EBay has been trying to improve its feedback system in which buyers bestow a customer service rating on a seller with whom they have just conducted a transaction.

Yet some sellers complain that system is unfairly skewed to buyers, who have the power to bestow a negative rating even if unmerited, which will hurt future sales.

EBay said that in gauging sellers' ratings, it will now place a greater emphasis on a seller's lack of negative ratings rather than the difference between a good or stellar rating such as a 4 or a 5, which eBay concedes can be an arbitrary distinction.

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »
Sellers eligible for that program, which launches in October in the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany, must conduct 100 transactions a year and post at least $3,000 in annual sales volume.
Those sellers must have a detailed seller rating of at least 4.6 out of a possible 5

Well!! Under THOSE criteria, I would qualify..........
if I lived in the above mentioned countries.

Yes. Really. :pigsfly:

:rofl:

cueperkins

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 11:36:35 AM »
Hi Bella....Under those terms I would have also qualified.....but........why would ebay try to make it easier for smaller sellers in Oz.....we're only good as lab rats...lol...What seems ironic, is that only a week ago, the CEO of Ebay was saying they are trying to get rid of smaller sellers?  While that article says they're lowering the bar to attract more smaller sellers??....so who's wagging the dog again?..LOL

The following links are to the top 25 Australian Sellers and Worldwide...notice the amount of negs against the Worldwide top sellers...wowee...Even though volume might be high...some have hundreds of negs and some have thousands....still not good enough...that's 1000 or so consumers who were not satisfied....can't be sniffed at.  I haven't done this for ages, but I'll go follow some of the links later today and find out if the calculations of the sellers match with their percentage rating.   You have to designate Aus or W/wide.

http://www.sellerdome.com/?th=&uid=

ernest_price

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
Just confirming... yes it was just weird that a lot of volume sellers, both on OZ and USA, were 98.8%. One of them in Australia, who anyone would know if they frequent the OZ eBay forums, had terrible written feedback, as in I would never buy from them based on the treatment that the 1.2% received.

Maybe I just hit a random run?

bobbybigbear

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »
When they changed feedback to reflect the current system, my negs disappeared to get me back to 100%.

I think I was 99. something, and every neg, was a result of retaliatory, except for 3 which I think were a result of someones relative being a smart Ar$e.  Failed to read the auction terms, failed to deposit the right amount 3 times on Paypal, and was a newbie ( sure ).

As they were all old feedback, perhaps there was a cut off date where all before were deleted.

For a system that is supposed to rate sellers, it doesn't do a very good job.

OZtion is worse though, one ex ebayer, a Jewellery Seller, had every negative removed, despite the fact that they sold falsely advertised items, counterfeit items, and complete fakes.  Many examples of that on OZtion. One dropshipper selling mystery boxes for $5, containing a ladies watch which wholesales for the same amount.  Postage $29.00.
Despite numerous reports 2 years ago, to which I received the reply " We are currently working with sellers on this situation ", the same seller is still selling the same mystery boxes, while the Admin is still working on it.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
One of the criteria for being a power seller is you maintain a 98%+ positive feedback

http://pages.ebay.com.au/services/buyandsell/powerseller/criteria.html

cueperkins

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »
Hi Smee..yep, it's posted above

but the interesting part is

maintain a 98% positive Feedback rating and provide a high level of service to their buyers.

I'm not sure they are the same thing....How does ebay measure whether a high level of service is being offered to buyers for instance if they have hundreds of negs?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
The Power Seller who listed & sold this item mustn't have very good points.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cueperkins

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »
Hey Ubb...anyone ever tell you your a bit of a lovable smartalec ?...lol....and this Gif has your name on hims.....................

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 03:17:10 PM »
Hey Cupie. That GIF is a ripper.

cueperkins

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
Just right click, save and upload to PB...it's all yours....

bobbybigbear

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:41 PM »
Yeh, those mail order brides were something else.

Never saw one you could fit in an evelope anyway.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »
Just a few things I have noticed over the years.....

Some of the high volume sellers have more than one account.
They are continually building good feedback on one, two or ten ID's...just waiting for the moment that their main ID selling account dips a little low on percentages.
A quick change...and they move their operations to one of the 'better' ID's...until they can repair the damage done on the ID that is close to slipping.

Some of the high volume sellers actually give their spare accounts to other people to build feedback for them.
Usually works well for them.....unless they choose the wrong person to take over their account.
They aren't usually too happy if the quassi owner gets bad feedback...and therefore totally defeats the desired outcome...lol

And then there are some sellers, that resort to intimidation and standover tactics with buyers who may rock the boat and actually give them the feedback they deserve.
Phone calls....firstly with offers of free gifts or discounts....followed by threats and general nastiness if the first offers aren't taken up.

Of course....all this is done outside of Ebay....so no one ever has enough proof to give them.

bobbybigbear

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 09:29:37 PM »
There has been thousands of threads over the years on feedback extortion by sellers. It's like the BS of politics, You won't get your faulty goods replaced unless you agree to change your feedback.  I am not giving you your refund until you change your feedback.
It has always gone on, just as long as the threads have gone where sellers, think they are the most important people on ebay because their fee's pay for everything, the the buyers answer, well you can't pay fee's if you haven't got any buyers. There are just no clear cut answers to some things, only opinions.

The ego of many I have seen on RT and M2M over the years has been incredible, and while all these arguements have taken much bandwidth, those that are not bound by scruples, have done exactly as you said Roo, and believe me Roo, eBay have been given more than enough evidence over the years.

We all have to remember that eBAy never do a dam thing that will cost them money, unless it's going to cost them even more money if they don't.

eBay worldwide has a staff smaller than David Jones in Sydney, and with automated responses to almost everything, one can never prove that they were actually told about anything. Site glitches can be blamed for everything, and one click of a mouse deletes any evidence.

Good old Pierre came up with the greatest tool to make billions and be unaccountable for anything. Well apart from the odd lawsuit.
But Lawsuits they can afford.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »
The 'Ego' thing with some of the sellers is a bit scarey Bobby....but the shear audacity of some of them is even more horrifying!

I've been around the boards for a few years...and in that time I have had numerous people contact me off the boards.

I figure that there must be as many people just reading the boards as there are actually participating.

WhY?  Because about 90% of those that contacted me off the boards had never posted!

They were regular readers...but were just too shy to actually put their words on a thread.

So they just read a lot...and found someone that they thought would be able to help them in a non judgemental way.

I have advised on bung transactions....jewellery scams....Narp'd Id's...you name it!

My strike rate is pretty good...and my empathy is even better..lol

Sometimes a person can accept having been diddled on a DVD they bought..and never received...as long as someone tried to help them.

Shame Ebay don't help much on that front.

cueperkins

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 09:11:23 AM »
Hi Roo and Bobby....reading your posts with interest.....what you are describing is Predatory behaviour........Roo, as you know, a group of us each helped many hundreds of fraud victims on the RT last year, and for our trouble, we were attacked left, right and centre....These were people who had lost huge amounts of money, were very distressed, and offered ABSOLUTELY NO HELP from Ebay or Paypal in terms of customer service...in fact, directly following the Paypal imposition, it was ironic, given that a good majority of the EBS victims for instance, used Paypal, and looked like getting diddled anyway..that was until fellow Consumers took it into their own hands to fight them in the Media on behalf of those victims.  To this day, we are still being trolled around by various ne're do wells..yes even now. 

Even better...all four of the largest frauds last year were Powersellers......lt's all a bloody big sham.  Just consider Philips research on shill bidding...makes sense doesn't it?   Shill bidding is functional to Ebay's bottom line.....and Fraud is functional to the Extortionate push of Paypal .  It seems that is why Ebay do absolutely nothing to curtail either...in other words, it's not in their interest to clean up their marketplace.  You'd be blown away by the fact that the 2006 study by Comslaw Going, Going Gone !  concluded exactly the same thing....Ebay have no incentive to curb the fraudulent and unconscionable behaviour, because they profit by it.  I'll fish out the exec summary...fascinatingly study.

Id' like to set up a reporting facility for ripped off consumers to get some assistance in lodging Fair Trade complaints against any seller on Ebay who rips them off, (and Ebay itself for failing to provide a safe marketplace)... The more cases that come before FT tribunals implicating Ebay as having exercised no duty of care, the more likely it will be that they will be made accountable.  People just give up.....and that's also what the Going Going Gone study found.

Soon....all States in Australia will have Unfair Consumer Contract legislation and what that means is that no more will companies like Ebay be able to fall back on their unconscionable UA to argue no accountability in a FT tribunal or civil law setting.  The stage has already been set in Victoria with the Evagora V Ebay case, which (although outdated in some aspects), identifies Ebay as a SERVICE PROVIDER and as such accountable to it's members/consumers, even if no money changes hands...so that's buyers and sellers alike.  Same with Paypal...Ebay don't tell consumers that they have a right to OBJECTIVE dispute resolution with BFSO, if they disagree with Paypal.   They also don't tell them that it makes no difference if they are a buyer or seller...they are both consumers and the complaint is against Paypal.

It all comes back to verification doesn't it?...mmmmmhhhhh?????

Take a look at the traditional market structure.....NOBODY get's to rent a market stall, full time or casually without being verified and therefore accountable for what they are selling.  Makes sense doesn't it?.  Why do we simply accept that just because it's on the NET, the rules should be different or non existent all together?  The rules are there to protect consumers.

Currently, businesses who trade on the Net only, are not required to be registered....and that's the first problem......All shop owners/traders on Ebay should be required to at least register a business name.....Casual sellers are not in that category and should perhaps be classified as 'Artists' 'Collectors' 'Cyber Garage Salers'...(still verified). 

Fraud flourishes in the absence of safeguards and deterrents, of which Ebay have none.   There needs to be rules and consequences.  e.g. if you are a casual or business seller at a Market and you are caught selling stolen goods or fakes?  Guess what?....you're pinched...no escaping it.  Not so on Ebay, because everyone is anonymous....and ebay throw their hands up claiming 'venue only'.

Nobody is going to convince Ebay to clean up it's marketplace, whilst it's so functional to their bottom line....the only way to achieve that is with consumer power......and constant reporting to FT whenever they act unconscionably.   Also a letter campaign to respective Fair Trade Ministers wouldn't hurt.  It's been done before with great success. *wink*

bobbybigbear

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 09:30:57 AM »
G'day Cue, you know Dodgy and Scambay were formed on the premise of clearing out the crooks on eBay.  While I agree it has to be done, I have always differed on the methods used. The various favoured methods of the day were auction bombing, and shill bidding, which I totally disagreed with.  As with one of the members of those groups, it became too easy to put the shill bidding into practise for personal gain for family, friends, and oneself.

There is a certain jealousy amongst " Crime Fighting " groups that is still apparent today, and I have no doubt your trolling was at the hands of one of those groups, who practise a great hatred of eBay, and can't live without it.  There is always a reason behind trolling of that magnitude, and jealousy is a prime motivator.  I guess my main concern is always those innocent parties who get named and shamed as suspects, when there is so little evidence.  I know for a fact that on smaller sites, category manipulation has been practised to allow one of the " Friends " of these people to become the premier seller in their chosen category, by auction bombing and character assignation in the forums of the better sellers in the same category.

We are faced with a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, which see's innocent members fleeced for lot's of money, which destroys trust in buying on line.  This is where eBay falls down because it's sacrificing long term viability, for the short term gain that it's innaction brings.

What is the answer though?

cueperkins

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43:24 AM »
Bobby, those who engage in unconscionable conduct in response to unconscionable conduct lose the point entirely.  I'd never involve myself with any group that uses those methods.....we have laws....and I'm a firm believer in people power and the use of those laws to deal with most things.  Otherwise, anarchy takes hold. 

The best way to solve it is to make it visible...not engage in the same conduct...... It's about using the law to bring monopolies into line....not the 'if you can't beat em join em' mentality.  Isn't it weird that some people think that way and then claim to be any better?  lmao.

Where laws are inadequate, it is the power of formal complaint, research and consumer pressure that brings these things to light.  Philip Cohen recently proved that persistence beats resistance......and single handed, he took his observations to websites, news media outlets etc.   

As Ghandi once said...even with the power of one, the truth is still the truth...... make it the power of thousands and it's so much louder isn't it?  If one man can do it...then what's stopping the rest of us?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
....or is this another Montello Moment?

What's that supposed to mean?
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

cueperkins

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »
....or is this another Montello Moment?

What's that supposed to mean?

Not sure what that means....but....come to think of it tello, it would make a great chocolate brand (watch countess rush in when she hears someone say CHOCOLATE)

Montello Melting Moments? anyone? 

ernest_price

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
A Melting Moment anyone?  :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 03:36:38 PM »
As this thread meandered well off-topic, the thread has been split. Those interested in the discussion's secondary topic can continue to follow it in the Fountain. I'll just ask everyone to respect the guidelines of this forum - you're welcome to post your opinions and to disagree with each other, but keep it friendly.

BACK TO TOPIC

Has anyone been searching on eBay today and noticed anything in particular about the feedback of sellers hovering around the 98.8% mark?

ernest_price

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:36 AM »
Well here's some feedback from one of the OZ ones at 98.8%. Would you buy from this person? Seems like it's always the buyer's fault!. Even when they rarely admit a fault there's always that little nasty dig at the end. Seller's name has been changed to 'bad_seller' to protect the innocent. Note a few purchases also included in there. Not a good look.

1   Not as described!The scratches were more than minor! waiting for response!
   Reply by bad_seller
   VERY minor scratches @ $9. Offered refund, neg. given instead. Avoid.
   Follow-up
   Not true! Paid $50 Au $39.23 US plus $6 shipping Never offered Refund!

2   Pre Exist Damage and Damage Caused by Packing. Seller will Not Respond!
   Reply by bad_seller
   Check f/b makes habit of this practice. Seller (me) can't alert by neg. IGNORE

3   lie. sent something then wat i bought
   Reply by bad_seller
   Mistake in postings while I was o/s. Sent satchel, 5 emails, wanted both! CON!

4   Wrong item. Payment refunded
   Reply by bad_seller
   Mixups happen. Rare but DO happen. Ugly people make me want to leave eBay!

5   WILL GIVE US -VE FEEDBACK IF HER EXPECTED PRICE NOT MET, WILL FOLLOW UP W/EBAY!
   Reply by bad_seller
   Happy to take neg when exposing cheats on eBay. Overcharge postage US$19!
   Follow-up
   TERMS CLEARLY STATED, IF NOT AGREE DON'T BID. WANT PAY LESS AFW! TRUE GREDDY!!!

6   SELLER BE AWARE!!! BUYER NOT AGREE PRICE/COST, BUT MUST HAVE ITEMS SENT, WARN US
   Reply by bad_seller
   Told seller big over-charge would result in neg. Retaliatory. IGNORE!

7   the picture looked too good

8   DONT BUY HERE. TOTALLY FALSE DESCRIPTION. AGGRESSIVE LIAR & CHEAT. NO CONSCIENCE
   Reply by bad_seller
   Buyer upset print old! Yes 130yo! Buyer has no idea of value! Avoid this MANIAC!
   Follow-up
   LIES ABOUT CONDITION.BUY AT YOUR RISK.A CHEAT.8-ves SHOW THE TRUTH.KICK HER OFF EBAY.

9   Very difficult and impolite customer who didn't follow payment instructions.
   Reply by bad_seller
   I paid direct next day. Seller a nightmare & typical - AVOID

10   Wrong size sent, no communication regarding return and refund - disappointed.
   Reply by bad_seller
   No communication received at all. Suit over 100 Pounds worth. Buyer a liar.

11   Sorry as top never arrived i am unable to leave a positive f'back. Great emailer

12   Set best offer-cries overpriced Saw clear pics-calls it dated Resorts to insults
   Reply by bad_seller
   My offer=near new jacket. Jacket 15+ years old! Retaliatory f/b dishonest seller
   Follow-up
   Lauren line not even made 15 yrs ago-EVERYONE on CABoard confirms it's RECENT

13   I requested insurance. Seller became irrate, said would not & cancelled auction.
   Reply by bad_seller
   2 invoices sent, did all I can do, Buyer irrational, unrealistic and no payment!
   Follow-up
   RRP$720. Sent wrong invoice I waited patiently for 3rd. Seller turned 100%nasty

14   SELLERS BEWARE...NO COMMUNICATON...AN EMBARRASSMENT TO EBAY!!!!
   Reply by bad_seller
   I paid for the item quickly. I sent 2 emails witn no response. A LIAR & A THIEF!
   Follow-up
   emails not being communicated - maybe because outside of US? let's work this out

15   Promised to get back to me about a complaint but didn't bother,Dress was damaged
   Reply by bad_seller
   $3K+ dress undamaged when sent to buyer. Bargain. Responded late due to moving.

16   Didn't respond to buyers e-mails!!! Buyers beware
   Reply by bad_seller
   Bidder did not respond to or send emails & did not complete sale! Obvious lie

cueperkins

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »
Would you buy from this person?

Never, I use B/deposit...we're an endangered species so you have to look both ways before crossing the Ebay super highway....being discerning takes on a whole new meaning when you use b/deposit......I often email sellers before I buy because their responses will often give you an idea of what they will be like to deal with.  For instance......I emailed a seller the other night who had an incredibly high postage quote and the item was within the same state as myself.....instead of being courteous, she barraged me with a gob full of justifications so no prizes for guessing why I didn't bother to bid.  She can't even be civil in an enquiry.

As for the postage charge...the item I was purchasing, I collect plenty of, and I know what I pay on average for shipping...I had initially figured that she overquoted to cover variations state to state, but when she wouldn't adjust the price within the same State, well clearly she was intending to pocket the overcharge.  In NSW, the same item would cost $10.50 to send (only 200kms from the sellers location)...and yet she wanted double?....mmmmmhhh!!! 

That's how sellers miss a sale.  Don't they realise that if you provide reasonable postage, buyers will bid and buy more?

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »
I know who that seller is Ernie! :green:

Hint..... :filenails: :blah:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »
adbusiness-au ( 1394 )

check out this guys feedback , dsr's and most of all his postage charges!!!!and yet is still a power seller ... ??? !!!!!
his negatives only bring him down to 98.something % but if you throw in the neutrals , quite a few of his customers arent happy

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
98.4%... but looking at the comments and definitely looking at his inflated postage, I wouldn't buy from him. It seems possible that he is selling cheap fakes (as one buyer put it) rather than the item "as seen on TV", which is certainly a misleading statement if it's not the exact same product.

cueperkins

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
Well then ask yourself...does this powerseller live up to Ebay's powerseller guarantee?  If not, and you get ripped off by any seller with this type of record, you DO in fact have a claim against Ebay for doing nothing to uphold the advertised standard of powersellers......This was the very same point of law referred to in the Evagora V Ebay....that Ebay made guarantees that the buyer believed in terms of making the purchase she made.....so Ebay was found to be responsible for her losses....same applies here. 

Ebay's powerseller blurb states unambiguously (a first for them)....

When buyers see the Member is a PowerSeller icon next to a seller's user ID, they know they're working with a seller who ranks among the most successful sellers in terms of product sales and customer satisfaction on eBay.

Notice they use the term 'most successful', not most trustworthy....so clearly they measure success in profit, not feedback.  Otherwise, this seller might be considered to be falling short of the p/seller guarantee on the basis of their questionable feedback, and put on notice to clean up their act as per Consumer Protection laws in Australia.  But don't hold ya breath.....As long as they turn over a huge profit for ebay...they don't give toss whether customers are happy or not.

Obviously the seller Smee has found is only just barely over 98% feedback, but his level of service to buyers is shocking.  Therefore, he is in breach of Ebay's Powerseller Guarantee isn't he?  In other words, it's false advertising if Ebay give this seller a guarantee on the basis of profit only. 

To qualify for the PowerSeller program, sellers must consistently sell a significant volume of items, maintain a 98% positive Feedback rating and provide a high level of service to their buyers.

Why don't we write to Ebay asking how they measure 'Service to Buyers' in the face of hundreds of negs and neutrals?......Anyone willing to help put together a list of powersellers not honouring the second part of the Ebay p/seller guarantee?.  I'm happy to write to Ebay with CC to F/trading minister in my state (others should also send a copy to their ministers for FT in each state), setting out Ebay's guarantee, and their clear bias towards profit over customer satisfaction etc.?