Author Topic: How important is a gallery pic on eBay?  (Read 12201 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
How important is a gallery pic on eBay?
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »
Do you look at listings that don't have gallery pics?

Does a good pic 'sell' itself to you?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: How important is a gallery pic on eBay?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
And what about a bad pic?

Would you click on this listing or buy this item?

[attachment deleted by admin]

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:12:13 PM »
I think it very much depends on what you are selling as to whether or not a gallery pic is needed

for example I rarely used them on my dvd listings as why would I want to spend 59c to show a cover of an unopened dvd ????? .... all copies of shrek 3 look alike so a gallery picture does nothing other than raise my overheads  

On the other hand if you have a store you might as well show a gallery pic as its included in the listing price

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:41 PM »
The dismembered mannequin izzint exactly aesthetically pleasing.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
Tello, maybe the mannequin fell over and lost his arm because his eyes were covered by the hat!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »
I look at coins listing only.

Do you look at listings that don't have gallery pics?

Very unlikely, except 1.) I know the seller and 2.) The title is interesting that I must take a look at the coin.

Does a good pic 'sell' itself to you?

Yes. Good picture is important.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:32 PM »
And what about a bad pic?

Would you click on this listing or buy this item?

I wonder whats inside the dummy if you stick a key in the shoulder and open it up ?....

{ Yeh only Yib would ask that ! ~ heheheh }

YOU still stalking me ?

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
I know if I do searches, I like to quickly scan down using the pictures.  I would only click on one without a pic if I was actually looking for something in particular and the title seemed to be what I was looking for.
:duckling:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »
Tello, maybe the mannequin fell over and lost his arm because his eyes were covered by the hat!

LOL! Good CSI Detective work there!

Just one thing: victim is female.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
I wont ever bother looking if there is no photo

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:48:01 PM »

or could be a herm !!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:48:47 PM »

or could be a herm !!

:10: :rofl:

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »
I wont ever bother looking if there is no photo

MM, what about on NEW books or CDs or DVDs where the covers are all exactly the same?

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 11:57:24 PM »
I was thinking more about this question as a seller.  It definately comes back to what you are selling and what price you are listing it for.

If you listing for a free 99c listing (perish the thought, I would only do that these days if I wanted the interest and to bring people to the site).  In this case if the item doesn't sell it costs nothing.  To add a galley would add an instant 59c.  If the item sells for 99, you are making 40 cents, less ebay fees less potential paypal fees.  In other words .... nothing.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »
I would not even consider looking at a listing with no photo

for my listings I usually have 8 - 10 photos of each item and have just forked out a small fortune on a new camera and professional studio lights ... (which are due to arrive today)

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:01:49 AM »
just to clarify it ..... we are talking about a gallery picture not not no pictures at all here

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »
Yes and we are talking about two different types of sellers.

1.  The ones that don't own an Ebay shop and therefore only get one picture for free with a listing and no gallery.  They also pay top price for a BIN listing based on the price they listed.  The greater the BIN price, the greater the listing fee (up to a cap).  Of course these sellers are going to have to make a decision on whether to pay for a gallery and extra photos.  

2.  The ones (like me and Tags) who own shops and therefore get many pictures and gallery for no cost and a BIN listing cost of 40c per item, no matter the price on the listing.  (Auctions are the same listing fee as a non shop owner and shop BIN's attract a greater FVF if they sell).  In our case there is no dilemma re pics and gallery - they cost us nothing.  Shop sellers have to pay the gallery fee if it is an auction though, but get multiple listing pictures for nothing.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 10:24:04 AM »
 I am experimenting with gallery pics for auctions or non store bins Gallery is a signifgant extra cost for a miniscle photo in seach. Combine that with over 1/3 of austrailia being on dial up or slow broadband, and the small screens of netbooks and smart phones becoming more common. How visiable is the 59 cents to most browsers?

Browsers still get the same free larger photo in listing and most sellers like me include extra photos after some text so the best photos have time to load.

So far the gallery is proving a no winner with me, better value for me in dual catagories surprising how many browse by catagory. Or otherwise extra heading line makes ad as large in search space with more heading words.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
I don't look at coin listing without a gallery picture, except

1. I know the seller.
2. The listing is so interesting I must see the details.

Reason is simple:

Some seller list hundreds of coins all without gallery picture. Most of the time, it is just a waste of time to look at these listings. Either they don't have the idea about the coins they sell, or they seriously overgrade the coins.

I appreciate the sellers who put up gallery picture, and will buy from these sellers wherever possible. I like to think they are at least some what serious about the coins (fake coin included, so I will report them) they sell.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
Say Low!
I ran than same scrimmage with Drum Gear Dealers.

I am with you on this one!

Sometimes: the customer is NOT right...

....but his Money is...!!!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 03:50:09 PM »
I would not buy an item without any picture at all except in the most exceptional of circumstances. (Complete desperation for a rare French CD, for instance!)

I don't require picture gallery in most cases, though... but I am deeply, deeply wary of items with poor quality photos that don't show the detail, or stock photos.

If I'm looking at an antique item, such as a writing slope, where it's important to see the detail, various angles, the "secret drawers", the slope unfolded, etc., I would expect a number of photos to show those details. If the description warrants it but there aren't enough photos, I would message the seller to ask for a few more pictures - as long as I were seriously interested and prepared to buy if the item were as described. I don't believe in asking for further photos if I'm not seriously interested and in a position to buy/bid as long as the item lives up to the description.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »
Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Fluffy, I didn't realise that gallery pic was free for stores. I have noticed a lot of grey boxes over the past couple of weeks and thought sellers must have decided to forgo gallery pics. I have just checked again and a lot of the listings are from stores - must be yet another eBay glitch.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
Galley pics are not free for stores with auctions, but several pictures in the ads are.  If BIN is used they are free along with the ad pictures, however the option box must be ticked for the picture to show in the galley.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:42 PM »
Say Low!
I ran than same scrimmage with Drum Gear Dealers.

I am with you on this one!

Sometimes: the customer is NOT right...

....but his Money is...!!!

Thank you, Tello.  ;D

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 10:32:21 PM »
Galley pics are not free for stores with auctions

Just one bid and it is paid for. Better than free.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
Very true Low.  As long as the auction doesn't start at 99c and only have one bid.  But that is in the control of the lister isn't it?

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »
Yes.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 01:51:02 AM »
I do not bother looking at gallery pics. I expect to be shown decent photos of an item in the listing and do not contemplate buying if there are either poor or no pictures of an item present.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 01:57:00 AM »
I appreciate items where the seller is upfront about scratches, flaws, imperfections and boo-boos, and features listing pics that clearly present the those issues.

I bought stuff in particular for those reasons.

Why? Because the prices were right!

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »
I do not bother looking at gallery pics. I expect to be shown decent photos of an item in the listing and do not contemplate buying if there are either poor or no pictures of an item present.

a decent picture is very important

and with that in mind I am pleased to say that my professional studio lighting set up was all I hoped it would ... finally I have great light that I can control and I no longer have any ugly shadows or flares

here is an example http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120549012309&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_2114wt_1167

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 12:07:31 PM »
Very, very professional images, BNWT.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
and with that in mind I am pleased to say that my professional studio lighting set up was all I hoped it would ... finally I have great light that I can control and I no longer have any ugly shadows or flares

Hi Bnwt, controlling the light is MUCH more important than cost of camera or lens . Glossy black always difficult but  with lights what you see is what you get. Hope the cost is repaid soon.

On another matter I am not familar with current ebay store pricing. But for Auctions and BiNS non store I have found it cheaper and better to load high quality photos to a free site then link to that within the text. Is store charging for more than one photos and is photo file size restricted? The other problem I have found is ebay deletes photos quickly and the reload process I find time consumming.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »
Shyer, Ebay stores are not charged for multiple pictures for either BIN or auction. 

What has changed is that a pic is no longer shown in the actual ad writing below.  I like to show at least one maybe more pictures there and still use an external site to link to via HTML in this case.  I'd have to say I do prefer using the Ebay hosted pictures (only use because they are free to me) as the Ebay pics don't clog up my photobucket and the effort of loading a pic in Ebay is much quicker and easier than doing it via Photobucket and then putting correct HTML in correct places on the ad.

BNWT - fantastic.  Great pictures.  I know what you mean - it is so hard to get a good pic with no shadows and showing all the detail without professional equipment.  I don't have it and often have to take pictures outside so detail shows.  Great for the detail, but hard to get rid of the background.