Author Topic: Another little gem thought up by PayPal, it never ends.  (Read 11171 times)

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Another little gem thought up by PayPal, it never ends.
« on: September 12, 2009, 05:56:33 AM »
This is the OP of a post made by PJ on the Ebay Forums, lol PayPal grows more alarming day by day.

phorum_junkie* (90)

I wonder if Paypal will bring this in in Australia, just received this message in my UK account. Can just see the furore from sellers if they do bring it in.

Legal Letter for UK User Agreement Change

On the 28th July, 2009 we informed you about the new faster and easier dispute resolution process on eBay. You can read the full announcement here.

Buyers will be able to resolve their problems on eBay through eBay Buyer Protection. We intend to make this process available to more and more buyers throughout 2009; although initially only a limited number of buyers will be able to use this process while we make sure it's working for everyone.

To reflect this change, the eBay.co.uk User Agreement will be updated.

eBay Buyer Protection

Under the eBay Buyer Protection Policy [v1], if we resolve a dispute in the buyer's favour, we may:

remove funds from the seller's PayPal account to reimburse the buyer for the costs of both the item and original postage fee. This is in accordance with the seller's authorisation provided to us under the new User Agreement [v2] ;

or,

where there are insufficient funds in the seller's PayPal account or where PayPal is not the reimbursement method of the seller, directly refund the buyer for the cost of the item and the original postage cost. In this case, the seller must reimburse us in full in a timely manner for an amount equivalent to the sum we paid to the buyer.

Sellers must have a reimbursement method on file with eBay at all times. The reimbursement method can be changed by contacting eBay and searching for 'Change My Reimbursement Method'. Where the seller is found at fault, we will notify them and charge the method of reimbursement they have on file.

Sooooo if they do this..... what is the premise of the "Holding rule" ? Firstly  Paypal claimed it had an inbuilt $20,000 Buyer protection insurance, covered by PayPal......

Now...

They Claim the Rolling %'s of the Holding rule is for Buyer protection, oh wait..... Oh wait.. now this..is this Company for real?

Origional post here:
http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Ask-A-Member/Refunds/500115539

PS. Is it just me or are the Hot topic and ask a member boards errupting into a frenzy of gnashing teeth and upheaval, I have not seen so many unhappy campers since the "mandatory PayPal" announcement. The ACCC is being flung around like a life preserver by Sellers drowing in a sea of Ebay/PayPal Corporate greed. The pinks drop in with carefully worded, sanitised cut and paste responses, which seems to only further inflame the already Glowing hot tempers.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Poddy

Re: Another little gem thought up by PayPal, it never ends.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:08:52 AM »
Sometimes I have to wonder if they are not stark raving MAD.

Do they think that we are all going to stand by and expose our short and curlies so they can get a good grasp?

I just can not believe the arrogance, I am lost for words and can only shake my head in disbelief.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:21:35 AM »
You think thats Funny, new Info come to light, now Ebay is getting in on the act:

The New Ebay pop ad on your Paypal accounts.

They can't make us accept Paypal only like the USA they decide to use scare tactics on your DSR`s

Anyone else get the feeling PayPal is making a MAMMOTH $$$$ Grab.

The first line of text is the kicker and an out and Out Blatant unadulterated LIE, I'd like to see them prove that little tidbit of information.

Bigger version with readable font here:

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/daveydempsey/009.jpg

This following comment by an Ebay user made me want to yell.....   :winner:

Actually you would end up with higher DSRs if you blocked everyone who paid by paypal; at least 80% of problem customers are those who pay by paypal

cueperkins

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
PS. Is it just me or are the Hot topic and ask a member boards errupting into a frenzy of gnashing teeth and upheaval, I have not seen so many unhappy campers since the "mandatory PayPal" announcement. The ACCC is being flung around like a life preserver by Sellers drowing in a sea of Ebay/PayPal Corporate greed. The pinks drop in with carefully worded, sanitised cut and paste responses, which seems to only further inflame the already Glowing hot tempers.

By comparison to the rebellion, these new boards seem completely tame,. with NUMEROUS slapped posts in one thread in particular.....I was reading it all yesterday arvo, and I thought to myself that if the RT were still happening there would be a much bigger noise being made and we'd be able to organise petitions and letter campaigns.....even get media involved again...but not now.  That was the whole point....get rid of RT, and make it an offense to disagree with Ebay.  Members over there would have much more impact, joining this site, and posting what they really think so the public can read it and see what's happening.  That was how the media kept up to date with the rebellion, they simply read the RT posts...nobody can read what's going on now.....In Ebay Space...nobody hears you scream !! 

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:41:10 AM »
This is a legitimate and verified statement from The New York times.

This is Anuj Nayar from PayPal and I wanted to point out one important distinction regarding our use of public data. Just to clarify, PayPal compiles data that is publicly available to assess the risk of each transaction in our system, not each person. And, PayPal uses fewer data sources (such as physical address) to assess risk for a consumer buying something versus a retailer who is accepting money from consumers. Also PayPal has a very transparent privacy policy in which we let our customers know how we approach fraud in our system.

All this is done to keep our service safe for both sides of the transaction – both buyers and sellers. And it’s why we have one of the safest services on the Internet.
— Anuj Nayar

Ahhhhh hahhahahahahahaa Ha ha ha... *chortle* Buahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... hilarious. Glad he has a sense of humour.

bobbybigbear

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 07:31:24 AM »
You know I have always had a pragmatic approach to ebay, if you don't like it, or what it does, pi$$ off somewhere else, no one forces anyone else to stay there.
Those who feel trapped because they hate it, but can't live without it, probably need to get a life away from computers and auction sites.
I often wonder at those people who's every waking moment seems to taken up being involved in something to do with ebay, protesting about it, writing about it, etc what they did before ebay.

I am starting to think some psychiatrist is going to define a mental condition know as ebayitis, and we will have to prepare special units, and retirement centre's for those afflicted with this malady.

I have been constantly amazed over the years, at the leniency shown to protesting members on RT, and some of the stuff they have got away with, especially when you consider ebay owns the vege patch and can plant what they like.

It's true they have paid assassins roaming the boards, it's true that they have have bred a whole sub culture of people who have no interest in buying and selling, but manipulating, so in a way, ebay is responsible for giving meaning to some peoples lives.

Now if i can get the tongue out of my cheek I'll go and see what's selling on ebay ;D

cueperkins

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »
Bobby, I'm not sure I can agree with your flippancy about all this.    I live in RURAL Australia, as do MANY others who years back, initially started using Ebay to bridge the gap of availability and access to Commerce generally...

In other words, we CAN'T buy things we need locally, so we either go without, or travel a few hundred kilometres to gain access to the type of choice, you clearly take for granted.  We also can't SELL things for the money they're worth, via classifieds or garage sales because only a small population would ever see the item for sale in a rural region..... 

So, When Ebay came along being the 'good guy' and promoting themselves on this basis, many found it to be an excellent and indeed, necessary marketplace in terms of bridging that access gap.  If you needed a manual for an old car, you'd more than likely find it on Ebay...if you couldn't find a car part, or fitting or any other obscure item, you could easily look for it on ebay.  It DID give rural folk an even playing field when it comes to access to a buying/selling platform that does not exist other than online for us.

Similarly, if you had 'hard to find' items you could list them, and somebody searching for that item would be able to utilise it...in a way, it was a great way to recycle also.

Don't you recognise that people who once bought and sold online in rural regions, have now had the very access, that many take for granted, completely removed ?.....unless they agree to be extorted?.....It's not just inconvenient Bobby, it's down right discriminative and disadvantaging.....they've turned rural folk into isolated second class consumers once again, unless we buy and sell their way...Then consider who is being hardest hit by this recession?  Rural Regions? So, we're doubly disadvantaged because we simply can't afford the fees, stress, risk with such a depressed rural economy....sheesh.

And what of their bullshit about not being involved in the transaction or the buying selling relationship?...for the past 18 months that's all we've seen, is their constant misuse of market power manipulating the buyer/seller relationship. 

For gord sake, if they simply verified everyone, then any payment method would have recourse against frauds i.e. it wouldn't matter how you paid...basically, it's not Paypal's or the banks' responsibility as payment systems, to clean up or reimburse for fraud that originates from Ebay's ad hoc membership practices and non existent fraud prevention.  Ebay have to verify members so recourse is available under the law..end of story.  JMO.

bobbybigbear

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
  I live in RURAL Australia

Under 2000 in my town, a garage, club, couple of food shops, when I first moved here, the nearest bigger town is a 30k drive, and when I went there, I had to wait two weeks for a set of Kumo's for my 4wd. I have sold to regions all over Australia as well, many isolated places where you just put the name of the station and via the nearest town and then State or Terrotory.  I understand all that, and was part of the tongue in cheek I spoke of.

However, facts are facts, ebay owns the playpen, and there is nothing, you or anyone can do that will them any morals or concience.

Unless they are doing something illegal, you have little hope of getting anything changed, and that's just a fact.

All the protesting under the sun won't do anything, the big exodus to oztion fell flat on it's face, and there are numerous reasons behind that.

You could try Bidmate, who are giving away $80 free selling accounts, or you could try numerous other auctions sites who simarly get no traffic, or the Trading Post.

Being rural was never an even playing field, hardly any broadband, dial up, never make a decent snipe for bargains, doesn't change the fact though, try a lease in a shopping centre and try and get a protest going, you'll be out the door in seconds.

You mentioned your population swells by a couple of hundred thousand around the holiday periods, surely there must be some retailers taking advantage of that, you also mentioned you haven't sold on ebay for years, so if your only a buyer, why not use goodle, we do a lot of buying for work from the internet, but not ebay. Just about everyone we deal with online takes paypal or credit cards, yes it may not be as convenient as ebay, but ebays user agreement makes no promise to you or anyone else about the servicability of it's site to suit your needs.

My comments maybe flippant to you, but I have seen enough people buy houses near an airport because it's nice and cheap, then scream and Irma Grese and cry to the government because they made a bad decision, and they want the aircraft noise stopped.
Actually, people like that $hit me to tears, if it aint working for you, find something that does, life is much more peaceful that way.
No one made me move here, I moved here because I loved the place, still do, but have to adjust myself to the prevailing conditions, I don't expect the prevailing conditions to change for me just because of an inconvenienece and because someone changes some rules in the town, which the council does here regularly.

Of course, your totally correct on the verification issue, but we both know if that was enforced, ebay would cease to exist.