Author Topic: Convinced hacking doesn't happen in Australia? It does...  (Read 5234 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Convinced hacking doesn't happen in Australia? It does...
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »
This sort of behaviour is increasingly occurring - and to counter it, laws will be changing.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1016230

Allegations that a NSW government transport website was hacked into days before its launch have been referred to police by the company developing the site, Transport Minister David Campbell says.

On Saturday, The Sydney Morning Herald splashed its front page with an exclusive story on the NSW government's unreleased transport blueprint, saying it had obtained key announcements when they were accidentally uploaded onto the Shape Your State website.

But Mr Campbell said the private contractor developing the site, Bang The Table, has disputed the claims, saying its unlaunched site had been hacked into on February 18 and 19.

Without naming the newspaper, Mr Campbell said there were 3727 unauthorised hits on the site and they were sourced to four different IP, or internet protocol, addresses.

Two of those were traced back to a "Sydney media" address, he said.

The government's transport blueprint was released on Sunday by NSW Premier Kristina Keneally.

"Contrary to the newspaper's claims, I am advised by Bang The Table that at no time was (the) website available to casual viewers," Mr Campbell told parliament on Tuesday.

"On the advice provided by Bang The Table it seems that the only way to enter the site was to hack into it.

"And allegedly someone did.

"It was not a one-off, but a concerted effort.

"An internal investigation by Bang The Table found that there were a total of 3727 unauthorised hits on the site's firewall security over a two-day period."

Mr Campbell said the attack was akin to picking "the lock of a secure office and take highly confidential documents".

"A person using a Sydney media IP address hit the site 209 times," he said.

"On Friday, February 19, an unknown person using a Sydney media IP address entered the secured site for 21 minutes, from 1.02pm until 1.23pm, and accessed confidential government information.

"Reports by the newspaper that the documents were uploaded accidentally were incorrect and the user at the Sydney media address gained unauthorised access to government information.

"We await the findings of the police investigation."

Comment was being sought from Fairfax.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Re: Convinced hacking doesn't happen in Australia? It does...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:11:17 PM »
It will be interesting to see the outcome!

Weird name Bang The Table!
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »
It would be great if the penalties for Hacking were brought into line with this day and age.

It seems that the Hackers think it is a big joke...that nobody really cares or can do anything about it.

Even Twitter and similar sites aren't immune.

If the fines were made worthy for pursuing by the authorities.....I think fewer people would be game to try it.

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
So what does the message above Yibidas "click here" button mean??  Can everyone else read it?  Is it just a form of humour??

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »
Knowing Yibs...I'd say it was just something that gets people to actually think about the subject.....

But those bunnies are a worry! :lol:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
There are problems with the whole issue of hacking that impact on what is being done and can be done.

Firstly, it's a political problem. Hacking can be done from overseas, so international responsibilities, views on the internet, different legislations, etc., come into play. The laws are different in different countries - so far there's no international standard.

Secondly, it's an enforcement and law issue. Who finds, arrests, prosecutes, charges, and how?

Thirdly, it's an information issue. It's not hard to find identities when the people concerned are not using a proxy server. But most hackers DO use proxy servers... so how does one find the proxy server and force it to reveal the information?

Fourthly, it's a technological issue. More secure ways of protecting data have constantly to evolve, but at the same time technology provides hackers ways of evolving their activities too (and hiding their activities and/or identities). There are potential problems with identification (in case it's misused to destroy individuals' privacy when going about legitimate internet usage) and this has to be balanced with being able to track down those who MISUSE the internet. What's to stop a corrupt government, for instance, from using the technology to identify political dissidents, for instance?

But I believe - and a growing number of people believe - that these issues have to be resolved as a matter of urgency, and that the legislation has to catch up to the technology. Global co-operation needs to be a matter of priority.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »
This site has been sucking the big one for days.

*sniff*
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »
Hackers always seem to be a step, or more, ahead and I imagine it will continue to be a problem tracing the highly skilled hackers.

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

ernest_price

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:51:39 PM »
It wasn't a hack [in today's understanding of the word].

The external website manager left a whole heap of the site open to the public for a day or so by mistake [i.e. if you came in through the web front end you saw nothing  - but think of folders that you could type in the direct folder address and get in there - anything a 'keen' journalist would try just once and see what happened - in this case it 'happened'].

They are no longer responsible for the site :)