Author Topic: Going to be interesting to follow this one  (Read 16050 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Going to be interesting to follow this one
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:50:52 PM »
You're right, Ernest. It will be interesting indeed.

There is an awful sense of "I can say what I like; it's online; freedom of speech; etc., etc.," with some people re forums. It is possible some individuals will have a rude shock when asked to pay up substantial amounts in damages if what they have posted (even in private forums where everything is hidden from public view, because there is always going to be at least one person who leaks the information) amounts to defamation.

Fair criticism is one thing; but defamation is another. Online users should ensure they are aware of the difference.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:20:18 PM »
This case is very interesting but I don't think the guy claiming defamation will win it.....he took part in the discussion on the site in question from what I can gather...and as such, he provoked a fair amount of debate and divulged information about himself.....So he surely contributed to the situation arising in the first place...more-so than the site owner did.....luckily for the site operator, he mitigated immediately without being asked by banning the alleged trolls (as any reasonable person would when it comes to malicious personalities) and once asked to remove the posts, he did so promptly.   

So how did the trolling come into it?  Were the ones he debated with on that site trolling him elsewhere? ....as trolls (aka cyber stalkers) always do?  Or was that an assumption of the site owner?

imperfect

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
Well...that will be VERY interesting indeed.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:38:32 PM »
It's an important point, yes - if one facilitates or encourages defamation (or related things like harassment or stalking or online trolling), one mitigates the action one can take legally.

We should keep an eye on emerging legislation, and keep an eye on this case. It may set some precedents, or it may collapse because of those mitigating factors.

If people would only behave with decency and respect and courtesy towards each other, none of this would even be necessary. I find the very concept distasteful.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

imperfect

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »
If people would only behave with decency and respect and courtesy towards each other, none of this would even be necessary

Absolutely, if only....and behind closed doors too, hey?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
Mmm. Defamation has occurred in some very odd places, and by some people who seem to think what they're saying isn't being passed on. Closed doors aren't much of a defence if what's being said is posted for a sufficient number of people to read. Apparently not everyone involved demonstrates confidentiality.

The moral of that is - seek peace, try to be kind, don't seek arguments, assume good intent, learn from mistakes, forgive, try to resolve, don't hide meanness behind saccharine falsity, and have respect for our legislation.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
If this is true, then maybe you guys will be nicer when talking smack about me!

:rofl:
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »
If this is true, then maybe you guys will be nicer when talking smack about me!

:rofl:

Heh Tello... and when are we dissin you man?....you know we do it outta love.....when do we keep you on a short leash, you got free reign!...and your own private thread!...sheeesh!..LOL

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 08:43:34 PM »
"Going to be interesting to follow............"

follow what ?

it might have been headlines yesterday but it's already been used for fish'n'chip wrapping and is now in the bin

the media have moved on

imperfect

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »
So true...best to move on sometimes. :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »
It can still be followed through what's released from the judicial system - unlikely to be much (if anything) in the public media. As you say, BNWT, the media do move on because they have new headlines.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »
Heh Tello... and when are we dissin you man?....you know we do it outta love.....when do we keep you on a short leash, you got free reign!...and your own private thread!...sheeesh!..LOL

Awww...relax! I was grinning when I said that!!!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »

heheheh...yeh I know I saw your pearly white's!... or wus that a pearl necklace?.....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »

heheheh...yeh I know I saw your pearly white's!... or wus that a pearl necklace?.....

That's not nice. You take that back!!!!!!!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »

That's not nice. You take that back!!!!!!!

:rofl:   Hah!... if that'd come from anyone one else I'd take it seriously....you crack me up...LOL

RiffRaff

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
This is interesting on this subject:

http://www.efa.org.au/Issues/Censor/defamation.html

The following are examples of defamation:

An imputation which may tend to cause a person to be hated or despised, or cause them to be treated with contempt by their peers;

Website Administrators would need to be very careful not to allow or condone that sort of behaviour.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
Hah!... if that'd come from anyone one else I'd take it seriously....you crack me up...LOL

Whatever......

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:51:47 PM »
Hah!... if that'd come from anyone one else I'd take it seriously....you crack me up...LOL

Whatever......

So you going all serious now?... what about the band?...

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 09:54:27 PM »
Ha! Gotcha!

What Band?

I still wanna defect to Oz. Any news on that strategy?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
We want you here, Tello. America can't handle you. But we can... I think... er... maybe... possibly...

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
Ha! Gotcha!

What Band?

I still wanna defect to Oz. Any news on that strategy?

Were working on it...seems to be some sort of discrepancy with the authority's about importing you into this country, and whether you are animal - mineral - or vegetable?....beats me ?....maybe we'll just stuff you and say you were a pet......

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:44 PM »
Set me up. Alert the Media. Call the Guv'nor. Inform the Consulate of American Defectors. Tip the waitresses and dancing girls!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:17 PM »
I don't travel light. I need a cargo ship to handle my baggage (40' Conex, full of drums).