Author Topic: How do you compete with drop-shippers?  (Read 6080 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
How do you compete with drop-shippers?
« on: November 25, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
The following is taken directly from a listing on eBay.  :t2:

In perfect condition - no dings or dents

(I can guarantee this because I have the books - unlike your friendly neighbourhood drop-shipper)

Speaking of which:

IN STOCK AND READY TO POST NOW - I only list items I actually have

It's too close to Christmas to risk buying from a drop-shipper (someone who doesn’t even order your books until they get your money, and then lets you wait for the cheapest rubbish in the world to arrive via three-legged yak from Outer Mongolia). That’s why they use ‘stock’ photographs, because they have no stock (ironic) - you might save a couple of dollars, but you probably won't get your books until next year - if ever, and there is no way of knowing what condition they'll be in.

:pmsl: :pmsl:  LOVE IT!!

lets you wait for the cheapest rubbish in the world to arrive via three-legged yak from Outer Mongolia

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: How do you compete with drop-shippers?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
Beautiful!

I've always thought drop-shipped items were carried by Slovenian moles who rendezvoused with some homeless wallabies on the wharves in the dead of night...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »
I believe................. if you havent yet got it dont list it

just my opinion

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »
I'm with you on that, Smee. It creates a very unsound buying environment.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »

just my opinion

Hmm. But many DVD sellers are doing this. They use Kunaki.com or similar service. And do you consider "print on demand" (like cafepress.com) drop shipper?

Just curious to know.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »

just my opinion

I agree. 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »

just my opinion

Hmm. But many DVD sellers are doing this. They use Kunaki.com or similar service. And do you consider "print on demand" (like cafepress.com) drop shipper?

Just curious to know.

Low, I think the main issue is when sellers on eBay and Oztion do not disclose the fact that they do not have the stock in hand. A site like cafepress.com is different altogether - you know when you place a custom order that there is a time delay for printing etc before delivery.

The seller that I have quoted above is obviously competing with a dropshipper who is delivering a poor quality product and if there are delays in the delivery the buyers may not even have time to begin a dispute within eBay/PayPal's timeframe.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
Print on demand is different. No stock is kept, but stock is never unavailable because the publisher/seller has the digital media ready to produce the one-off demand as it arises.

Drop-shippers take money for something they don't have but expect to be able to get. Too many steps between the item and the buyer...

Supplier >> faulty communication (because supplier is Chinese) >> wrong items supplied out of ignorance or lack of concern >> items sent by ship because it's the cheapest method >> container lost at sea >> container's items damaged at sea >> supplier doesn't even HAVE the items >> supplier is conducting a fraud and doesn't even send the items >> items sent but they're substandard and fake because China's copyright laws are not Australian copyright laws >> items held up at the wharf by customs >> items have to be unpacked by seller and sorted out >> items need to be sent to the buyers >> buyer finally gets something (assuming no fraud).

All of those steps and the possibilities of things that can go wrong... I'm not in favour of drop-shipping at all.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »
And check this! The reason I looked at that listing was to compare eBay prices to fishpond for the same item.

current fishpond.com.au price incl free postage (on sale at moment) - 24 hr shipping
$50.31

cheapest price on eBay incl postage for a BIN from an Australian seller
$78-$100

BIG difference!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »
Hi Wheels,

Sorry I rushed in before I read your first post. Get your point now.

Thanks countessa. Very nice explanation.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »
current fishpond.com.au price incl free postage (on sale at moment) - 24 hr shipping
$50.31

Yes if fishpond in usa no GST thus is now $55.34 against legit volume Oz seller. Ebay fees plus Paypal fees $60.81. . Wait for money from Paypay at 1.5% for a month PLUS credit card charge back insurance now plus 5% and add the registration cost $66. Then remember that all large importers "HEDGE" the exchange rate on the futures market so they can list stable prices to retailers, months in advance. 3 months ago was 70 cents to US dollar another 20%. Well is now $79 .

That is why direct online is cheaper, somewhere in the world is a favourable exchange rate.Ebay and Pay$pal getting way too greedy and P$P forced into most sales make ebay a sinking ship. And the lower in the water she gets the faster she sinks.