Author Topic: The ugly side of the FLOOD RELIEF  (Read 7291 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
The ugly side of the FLOOD RELIEF
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
Queenslanders admit they'll lie for flood cash
By Matthew Grimson

Fraudsters have been warned to think twice before dishonestly claiming special one-off payments of $1,000 designed to help flood victims.

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) has been established to help Queensland flood victims, including those who have lost homes, been seriously injured, or have lost a member of their immediate family.

People are also eligible if their electricity was out for more than 48 hours or if they were cut-off from their home for more than 24 hours.

Centrelink managing director Hank Jongen says those found guilty of fraud face serious consequences, including time in prison.

But several people have told ABC News Online they were planning on chancing their luck and applying for the $1,000 despite not being affected by the floods.

One female student says she will be "trying everything" to get the payment.

"I figure the Federal Government does not do nearly enough to support people or students," she said.

"I'm 50-50 [per cent] sure it will work. If I get caught I'll just act dumb; it has worked before. Centrelink is renowned for paying first and asking for it back."

She says she is aware the payments are designed to help those affected by the floods but she does not have any sympathy for the Government.

"I do feel a bit guilty," she said.

"[But] I think the Federal Government should feel worse and more guilty than me considering how much they've squandered away in the past couple of years on crap."

Another woman also says she will be claiming the $1,000 despite the risk of getting caught. She says she is going to tell Centrelink she was isolated from her house.

She says flood or no flood, she would have been staying at her boyfriend's house throughout the disaster period.

But she says there is no risk because Centrelink cannot find out where she was and what she was doing.

Public duty

Mr Jongen says he knows some people will take advantage of the assistance scheme, but the organisation has to consider its duty to the public.

He says Centrelink is being "flexible" when identifying people who are lodging claims and "in the overwhelming majority of cases, people are honest and [are] entitled to their payments".

He is urging people who are tempted to make fraudulent claims to reconsider.

"In emergency and crisis situations, Centrelink needs to balance the needs of people who have obviously gone through a very traumatic event with the fact that unfortunately some people may try to claim assistance they aren't entitled to," he said.

"Where we receive evidence or tip-offs about fraudulent claiming, we will investigate them. If someone has claimed a payment through deliberate fraud they will be required to pay it back and may face prosecution."

Mr Jongen says Centrelink is in close contact with councils and utility providers to ensure they can check the legitimacy of claims.

He says cases in which deliberate deception or intent to defraud are established are referred to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (CDPP).

"The [CDPP] prosecuted 3,461 Centrelink cases for fraud with a successful conviction rate of 99.3 per cent [last year]," he said.

"I would urge anyone thinking of defrauding Centrelink to seriously consider their actions."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/19/3116295.htm
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: The ugly side of the FLOOD RELIEF
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »
Retailers gear up for insurance legal fight

Queensland retailers are gearing up for a legal battle against insurance companies trying to avoid flood damage payouts.

The insurance industry has been facing widespread criticism about policies being complicated in terms of whether flood cover is for a river flood, a flash flood or a problem with storm water.

United Retail Federation national president Scott Driscoll says he has been approached by scores of businesses who have been told they are not covered for the floods.

He says he is in discussions with law firms about a possible class action against insurers.

"We have had some discussions with solicitors who are very, very interested to explore a class action further," he said.

"We are certainly taking soundings from across our membership, which numbers the thousands across Queensland, and given the sort of determination that a lot of these businesses have and how they have been let down by the insurers.

"I think there is a lot of momentum."

Mr Driscoll says members are ready for a fight with insurers who try to shirk their responsibilities.

"I think any insurance company listening to this needs to understand that this can happen one of two ways," he said.

"They can either do the right thing - pay out the claims and make sure the Queensland community is getting back on its feet.

"Or they can kick and scream and scratch and we will drag them all the way until justice is served."

Complacency

The retailers' action comes as the Insurance Council of Australia rejected complaints that flood policies are too complicated and is instead blaming customers for not reading their contracts.

Karl Sullivan, the council's general manager of risk, said customers are often complacent.

"Most of the definitions are written in very plain English and are very simple for a layman to understand," he said.

"Unfortunately a lot of people maybe don't make the effort to understand what the risks are that they're facing."

Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan has foreshadowed changes to the insurance industry as part of the Government's response to the Queensland floods.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/19/3116119.htm
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

79ftruck

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:51:42 PM »
The Fraud going on around here is appalling in my opinion,many people are claiming this payment,most live in the town high & dry on large hills,the majority did'nt lose power for more than 12 hours to 18 hours.
I won't state specifics but some of things you hear are just down right sickening.
The whole area is only now starting to move around again ( i think many people are still in shock ) & sure these areas in this position need a boost to kick start them back to some sort of normality but too many are taking advantage.
How's it goin ??

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
Queenslanders admit they'll lie for flood cash

There will always be opportunists among us who will jump to take advantage of a situation like this. Fortunately, there would be honest people as well who will gain some benefit from the offers made. Really, when you think about it...... is it worth $1000 to face the possibility of public ridicule - and in some cases, prosecution?

I'm sure that when the Whitlam Government introduced the dole - they did so in the best interests of people in need, and on the basis that most people were honest. Who would have thought that the exploitation of the scheme would be so widespread?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
Teen con artists arrested in Shepparton after profiting from floods

UPDATE 7.12am: TWO teenage scammers were arrested after claiming they were collecting money for Queensland flood victims.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/con-artists-hits-victoria-flood-victims/story-fn7my8q0-1225990543802

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Those who are wise to human nature did.  I'm sure those that mentioned it would be exploited were howled down as harsh and judgemental.
Also once explotation starts and the person responsible treated lightly, it encourages others to do the same  The "if they can , why can't i" mentality
Even medical benefits  (private) was exploited when it was first started.,  People would take out coverage for private cover, go into a public ward and pocket the difference.   Our burgeoning red tape is the direct consequence of mr averages' dishonesty.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
mr averages' dishonesty.....sexist !!!

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:46:03 AM »
Move the black line to the left

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

Indeed.  I saw that .. and made quite an impact.  The images were taken by an aerial photography business who publishes their images on the web: www.nearmap.com - which operates in a similar way to Google Maps.  The main difference is that these guys just have to hop on a plane, rather than extract images from satellite sources.  As a result, they do not have full coverage of the country - only of those areas of interest ... which the floods certainly are ... but of the areas they do cover, the imagery is often much more up to date. The flooding images of the Brisbane River and surrounds were only a couple of DAYS old when available online.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
Ron Tello puts on his Lawyer Hat!
C):-{= < " he's half right. the other half is left "<<

Add a few quick duds from a Thrift Store, brush-up on his Legal Jargon.... and the CASE IS ON!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"