Author Topic: Items most likely to be a scam  (Read 13653 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Items most likely to be a scam
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »
There are certain items on eBay deemed particularly high-risk. From your experience, what are these?

I have noticed, for instance, that the latest model mobile phones and the latest model laptop computers may be among the types of things that are prone to be listed by fraudsters hoping to draw in unsuspecting buyers who will end up defrauded.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Items most likely to be a scam
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »
While not a specific category, I'd be very wary of pre-order stuff, especially high value items - like quad bikes.  Red lights start flashing.

Also, when the items are of broad appeal and there seems to be a lot on offer by one seller, the sirens go off as well.

(Caution based on recent history - not through personal experience, thankfully.)

tommy.irene

• Knight of the RT
  • Im a 99 year old IRISHMAN..But I still think im 25
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »
we have the 20p scam in the UK..go to ebay uk and look at 20p coins..ebay is letting this scam happen
***** TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL *****

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
1930 penny or 1923 half penny

bobbybigbear

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:52:20 PM »
Scams also include counterfeit items.
What to to be wary of.

All software DVD's, Perfume, handbags and travel bags, Jewellery, Watches, most seiko's on ebay are replica's sold cheaper than AU wholesalers can buy them for.  Ipods, Mobile phones, Navigators, Guitars, Gibsons and Fenders cheap replica's imported from china. SM58 microphones, originals don't have an on/off switch ( slipped up many times and audience heard).

Be very wary of dropshippers. If anyone wants to know how to identify, check properties in their photo's.

Oh, and buy my book when I release it for a detailed section on how scammers use fake ID's to gain goods by bidding at half the price of their value. ( plug )

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
Oh, you! *laughs* The plug...

Yes, I've heard so many horror stories about fake perfume. I wouldn't buy any perfume online except direct from the house that manufactures it. The possibility of a fake is too high to risk.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bobbybigbear

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
If your looking for a genuine perfume seller at cheap prices, check out this one. Has a B & M shop as well as on line.

Can recommend this one, I buy my wifes perfume here.

http://www.perfumeempire.com.au

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »
tommy irene - I would love to learn more about this scam about the 20p - i know nothing about it.  Maybe you could post some info on the Aussie coins board as I have not seen anyone write about this.

Did you manage to get one of the undated coins - what a ripper wish I had gotten one, now they are just so out of my price range with some selling at over 2oo pound

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »
mandurah mum

1930 penny or 1923 half penny

I have a bag full of pennies from that period.....*makes note to go and have  good look at old penny bag*...lol. 

I researched them years ago, and found that they each have differences depending on where they are minted etc...fascinating subject...

When I find them, I'll make a list of what I have here...maybe you can shed some light on their value....?

I also have a 1950's Bronze Medal from a State Sports Carnival that I picked up somewhere...real bronze...lol...Haven't got a clue what it would be worth to a medal collector....any ideas on whether there is a market place for sports medals?  I know there's a market for war medals...another fascinating area of collecting....

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 12:30:08 PM »
I just bought a Gamin nĂ¼vi 265wt navigator with live traffic updates, from a b&m shop. It's one of the items I'd not risk buying online. (Actually, I just tried searching for the same model on eBay, and came up blank.)

Other navigators listed on eBay carry a risk, I think, of being refurbished items. It may well be hard for the average eBay buyer to establish who is selling genuinely brand new items and who's selling refurbished items. (Of course, it's not only some eBay sellers who do this. Some stalls in shopping centres definitely pass off refurbished items as "brand new".)

Poddy

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
High end mobile phones and ipods are the worst offenders

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
Cupie - no worries.  Most pennys are not worth much but some are, the 1930 penny value starts at 18,500 for crappy one and up to $1,000,000 for a proof.  Its like the holy grail for Aussie coin collectors

cueperkins

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
I'll make sure I keep an eye out for the 1930's penny then....wouldn't it be nice to stumble over one in a box full of worthless ones.....I should be so lucky....but I won't hold my breath...lol

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »
I have a replica of a 1930 penny... It was cast in WA, and is the equal of a proof original in quality...

So that it cannot be called a forgery, it is solid silver.

I keep it just as a talking topic...

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 05:06:14 PM »
there are several michael jackson commemorative coins around at the moment - one in particular that claims to have a limited edition of 5000.  Apparently they are minted at Synergy mint - a name that so far no one in the coin community has heard of.

this is one of them  260455566163   - also looks a bit like a bit of shill bidding too - but we are still waiting to see if feedback is left.

I was looking into this coin last night - and it seems that 330/5000 has now been sold over a dozen times by a different seller. 

These seem to be from china - a place known for dodgy coin scammers.

There is also a cam regarding the Lunar coins produced by the perth mint - this one 360174375341 - they even have the reverse that our mints use.  However all coins produced by the mints in Australia have a dollar value and it is always on the coin.

The latter one has been reported to the federal police so should be off the market soon

cueperkins

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
It's interesting the lengths fakers will go to eh?  Good detective work mandurahmum.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »
Tommy Irene - is this one on of the 20 p  290336429089 Some of us from the coins board reported him last time he listed this one - because one of his answers contained some really foul language - and then he posted it for all to see (tosser)

This listing has been reported because of foul launguage - though not nearly as bad as the last.

It is quite a bargain though at $94,500??

thanks in advance

Jane

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 02:08:12 AM »
this is one that has been highlighted on the coins board and its a beauty

280390405158 the supposed real one?

270438565004 the original listing? Compare photos!

Someone is about to lose alot of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current bidding is up to $699, not bad for a $10 purchase.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 02:12:18 AM »
Hi MM great to hear from you again

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
Hi Smee, nice to hear from you too, I miss you and stemschicky.

The coins section is flooded with Thailand sellers at the moment selling various expensivish coins, but it is a scam.  A fortnight ago they were on ebay US and now we have the pleasure.  I nearly got caught myself, but refused the second chance offer because it did seem fakish.

These id's are mostly 0 feedbacks but some have 4 feedbacks (mainly from sellers).  The photos are also the ones off the RAM and Perth Mint sites.

Ebay has been notified but they just dont seem to want to do anything about it.

Jane