Author Topic: How did you hear about eBay in the first place?  (Read 12821 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
How did you hear about eBay in the first place?
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:14:08 PM »
There was a time - remember it? - when there was no eBay.

It was a little over four years ago when I first signed up as an eBay member. I'd heard of eBay (through some US friends who mentioned it), but hadn't paid much attention to it until a relative talked about the sorts of things you could buy or sell on it. I checked out the site for a while, and comparing the prices and availability of the sorts of things I wanted to buy with the price and availability of those items elsewhere (both online and in b&m shops) convinced me that eBay offered something fantastic.

I think I had perhaps two years as a buyer in which I was quite satisfied with my eBay transactions (except for two instances where the things I'd paid for never arrived). The range of stuff was amazing...! I revelled in the opportunity to buy things from overseas sellers in particular - this was one major reason for my joining eBay in the first place.

Of course things haven't stayed as satisfactory for me as a buyer on eBay... but I'd like this thread to focus on how you heard about eBay, rather than how eBay has become less satisfactory. Did you hear about it through the media? Through friends? Through googling? Family?...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tommy.irene

• Knight of the RT
  • Im a 99 year old IRISHMAN..But I still think im 25
Re: How did you hear about eBay in the first place?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »
Im a man of few words..was in my sons house when he was on ebay, and seen the bargains on it,  so i gave it a try and im still here..  Tommy the 70 year old ebayer..come and visit us on Round Table UK and see the Aussie thread
***** TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL *****

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
I needed to move to a new mail provider because we were changing from Telstra internet and therefore mail.

Joined Yahoo because it is free and "join ebay"  "join ebay" is almost in flashing lights and very very easy to do via Yahoo.  So I joined not really caring about it at the time or needed to join.  It was several months before I listed, however.  Once I started listing, I needed help and from here stumbled across the old Australian RT.

;D

:duckling:

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »
Saw / heard it mentioned on a TV movie

:wine:

If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »
 yibida ( 307)  
Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 100%

Well let me see.... back then in a galaxy far far away.... urrrrrr ? I don't really remember!....
Oh! hang on it's coming back to me...
I first started when Dealsdirect [ known as now ] used to be an auction site back in pre- 2000
I don't remember what they used to call them selves? [ maybe trade.com?? ] I think yahoo bought them out then went down the gurgler and turned it into what you know now as www.dealsdirect.com.au  online shopping
so I had to find another online auction site....
steps in Ebay, Man what a rush back then! made squillions! 30-40 plus bids on my items!...
the world was my oyster.... as with all good things they don't last....my oyster turned into a spinney urchin.

**cupie**

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
Sorry Countess....I digress...

When I joined Ebay in 2001...can't remember how, or who.....it was a big thumbs up.... :t2:

Like Yib....these days for me....Ebay is a bit more like this.....

JMO...we all have one...like another thing we all have in common....hehehehe

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
G'day everyone.

I was told about Ebay back in early 2002. A fishing mate told me about all the great fishing gear that was available (auction) & that much of it could be won at prices cheaper than the fishing tackle shop prices.

This advise was spot on & I won a lot of quality fishing gear, fly fishing gear & fly tying gear at rock bottom prices, both here & overseas.

Sadly this is no longer the case. Very little gear is auctioned, it is mainly Buy Now & with postage (local) it can be more expensive than the fishing tackle shops. The quality gear is hard to find with most listed items being cheap Asian manufacture.

In the early days I also won a lot of archery gear, bows, arrows & other associated products. As with the fishing gear this is a thing of the past with most archery gear being the cheap Asian made stuff & mostly Buy Now.

It is cheaper for me to buy from overseas Archery web sites & fishing Tackle web sites , some being ex Ebay traders,  that sell quality products at fair prices, including postage costs. These prices are better than the Australian Archery & fishing tackle shop prices & much better quality than what is now available on Ebay (here & overseas).

Pretty sad the way Ebay has gone.

tommy.irene

• Knight of the RT
  • Im a 99 year old IRISHMAN..But I still think im 25
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
Countessa ..will you visit uk and give lynn a link
***** TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL *****

RiffRaff

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »
I first heard about eBay from my then 17yo daughter. A friend had sold a car on eBay. I was looking for something which is normally very expensive in AU, so I had a look at U.S. prices. As it turned out, I found there was a mark-up to be made on the items I had bought by selling them in AU.

That's what eBay does for some people. It turns them into entrepeneurs whether it be on a small scale or large. Making money got easy for those inspired enough to give a shot. It opened up the world as a marketplace and it's easy to do. What a fantastic opportunity for anyone with the will to succeed. It's a great starting point for virtually any retail business.

imperfect

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »
Hi Creepy one!!

;D

RiffRaff

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »
*shrug*

imperfect

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »
Hi Imp and Riffy.   :quack:
:duckling:

RiffRaff

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:01:04 PM »
Hiya Fluffy   :-* Ya cutie.  :rose:

imperfect

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »
Hi Fluffy xx

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »
I became a member of eBay 0n the 20th Feb. 2006. My youngest ( and bossiest) daughter was showing me some ski gear she was buying from the US and Canada ( not through eBay)and also happened to show me eBay. That was in 2005.

I had read a little about eBay and heard friends mention the site prior to being introduced to it.

My daughter insisted I read all the eBay information several times, read the forums and learn, before I joined. It was good advice.  I waited a year before joining and after a very nervous beginning, and help from kind sellers, I enjoyed eBaying. I used to find the auctions fun. It was not the cost so much as the chase ;D

I enjoyed buying gifts for everyone without having to drive through busy traffic, use petrol, and often have to search several shops( often in vain) for the items which I knew friends and family would like or need.

I have not bought much for a while. Very shortly I hope to buy more for myself and a lot less for others. If I find items I want.

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

ernest_price

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »
I was a bit of a hoarder and had all these car magazines from the 70's and 80's. Most in mint condition. We were moving house, had grown out of the car phase, so I chucked them all in the recycle bin. Had too many for one bin so had to do another load in 2 weeks time.

Now surely nobody would want old 1970's and 1980's Wheels, Modern Motor, Motor Manual and similar magazines? Mate of mine popped over and I mentioned that the bin was so heavy and I couldn't fit them all in. He let me know his local council fined him when he did the same thing a few years earlier as his bin was way overweight. So I hauled them all out of the bin. A few days later another mate saw the mags there in the corner of the lounge room waiting to be dumped and suggested that I try selling them on eBay as he reckoned they would be worth some decent $$$.

So I put them up in year lots. Got crappy prices or no bids at all and was still going to recycle bin them over a few months. Got a nice member to member email saying to sell them individually. A pain to do them individually, but he said I'd get much better results.

Well, around $2,000 later I had sold every magazine and was hooked. I got huge prices for one mag with a Ford GTHO, another with the Batmobile in it, and another with a specific Ferrari in it. The last two were mainly from USA and Europe, with a USA buyer and a Finland buyer respectively who went auction crazy.

There you go!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
I've subsequently introduced a lot of people to eBay, even those who don't use it.

Friends, relatives, and friends or relatives of my relatives - they're among those who won't use eBay themselves but do ask me to obtain some things they can't buy locally.

It's been a while since I've introduced anyone to eBay.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"