Author Topic: PayPal violating the Electronic Funds Transfer Act? Read on...  (Read 5673 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
http://www.freedweiss.com/10-05-12-1-Paypal-Complaint.pdf

From http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y10/m06/i08/s02 (first posted by BNWT on his excellent thread about eBay and the media) >> The law firm of Freed & Weiss LLC has filed a lawsuit against eBay and PayPal on behalf of their clients, Ronya Osman and Brian Patee. The lawsuit charges that PayPal's practice of "holding" funds for up to 180 days in the accounts is fraudulent because of the "systematic and arbitrary manner in which the freezing is done and the lack of information shared with affected customers."

The lawsuit claims PayPal is holding $1500 of Plaintiff Ronya Osman funds, and had held $750 of plaintiff Brian Pattee's funds from about September 2009 til March 12, 2010.

The lawsuit says PayPal's actions violate the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, stating that PayPal is a financial institution within the meaning of the EFTA, and that plaintiffs are consumers protected by the EFTA. "Defendant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of and detriment to Plaintiffs and the Class by wrongfully collecting money to which Defendant, in equity, is not entitled."

The complaint is on the law firm's website in PDF format.

The law firm is looking for other plaintiffs, stating:

"F&W is litigating a putative class action against PayPal for PayPal holding seller's money up to 180 days (sometimes even longer). PayPal often does not provide a basis for why it is holding the funds and will also tell the seller to get a subpoena to find out why their money is frozen. If you have had money held by PayPal, please contact us for information about the case."
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Re: PayPal violating the Electronic Funds Transfer Act? Read on...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »
Finally..... things are beginning to develop. Makes me wonder, given the class action against the banks relating to excessive fees..... could the interest earned by Paypal be regarded as a 'fee' against the seller.... given that it is also an unjust loss?

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:33:26 PM »

I would so love to post Tess's report on the eBay boards !... how long would it last ? ... LOL

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
In the words of your mate.... Mork from Orc..... Nano Nano-seconds!  ;D

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »
Finally..... things are beginning to develop. Makes me wonder, given the class action against the banks relating to excessive fees..... could the interest earned by Paypal be regarded as a 'fee' against the seller.... given that it is also an unjust loss?

I read through the complaint (but stopped at Exhibit 1 - PayPal UA)

There are several angles on this - but not being a legal eagle, I won't attempt to make sense of it all except to say, I think they have it well covered.

The term 'Unjust Enrichment' is used and one place where the complaint addresses this is on page 23 - items 105 to 110 (only 13 lines all up).

The complaint specifically focuses on one key issue - the unexplained holding of funds and all the consequences that derive from that action.  It includes references to the lack of information provided by PayPal and the advice given to 'get a court order or a subpoena' if anyone wants information out of them.

While this is solely in relation to the "Holding of funds" focus of the complaint, it does offer an opportunity for some of PayPal's 'customer service' practices to be presented in court - which opens up the possibility of comments and decisions by the court that could affect the same evidence in future cases (which could be to dismiss it's relevance or to set a precedent where further legal action can work off a reference point established in court) or the possibility of judicial instruction for action to be taken against PayPal for matters in which the state has interest.

The complaint does not argue that the withholding of funds per se is the issue, just not disclosing the reasons for doing so. Without the reasons, how can members be expected to address the alleged issues so as to correct the present situation and alter operating practices to avoid future holds?

But, unless PayPal is sitting on a gem of an answer that will survive even that test, they're going to be on the back foot very quickly.

My real concern is not with the issues, the evidence, the plaintiffs, the courts or even PayPal - it is with the legal team that PayPal can afford to assemble, with the prospect of advanced expertise in smoke and mirrors that makes Felix the Cat's "bag of tricks" look like a genuine fake vinyl import from China at a 99 cent start with free shipping.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »

I would so love to post Tess's report on the eBay boards !... how long would it last ? ... LOL

I will if you wont because I don't care what Ebay try to do to me LOL
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!