Author Topic: Once again, German sellers are choosing poor methods of postage...  (Read 5550 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
As you know, I buy a fair bit from Germany. I've learned that when I have to purchase from marketplace sellers or eBay sellers from Germany, 80% of them choose the poorest method of postage you can imagine.

The last book I received (which took 87 days to arrive - airmail) had been so poorly packaged (well, it was stuck into a bubble-wrap parcel envelope where the tacks fastening the envelope had come open in transit, thus exposing the top of the book) that I was frankly amazed the book arrived completely undamaged.

It certainly took much longer than I'd hoped to arrive. But another book purchased on the same day from another seller ALSO took around the same time to arrive (89 days).

Buying from the German Amazon site is fine - the postage is timely.

Buying from French sellers is usually not bad at all. I can most frequently count on receiving my orders in 2 weeks.

Buying from Italian sellers - slow, and in one case (remember the plastic-wrapped Italian games?) badly damaged. Yet Italians are lovely people in general...

Buying from UK sellers - outstanding. I think my best buying experiences have been from the UK. Fast postage, absolutely fantastic packaging, terrific people.

American sellers vary. Most of my sellers have been good, but the handful of items that were never sent by the sellers were American. It does of course usually take at least 2 weeks (and sometimes 3 or 4) to receive items from the US unless they're sent by courier. In general, I love the American sellers.

And of course the excellent Australian sellers are something special... The best DVD wrapping/packaging I've ever seen comes from Smee, for instance - and you absolutely cannot beat Australians for whimsical niceness and a fair deal (apart from the occasional naughty larrikin).
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Re: Once again, German sellers are choosing poor methods of postage...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:22 AM »
 countessa

I occasionally read about sellers having problems sending items to Italy. I think it was due to the Italian postal system---not sure, now.

When I buy from Scottish business (Not eBay) the items arrive amazingly fast. The US sellers, on the sites family members use, all send items which are well packed and quickly dispatched. The packages  seldom take longer that two weeks to arrive. (Often everything  arrives within a week).

I wonder why the German sellers choose such poor methods of postage? Is it the fault of their postal services?

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:49:39 AM »
I've been keeping an eye out for a toner cartridge for my Kyocera printer and have a search set up in eBay.

Since I'm in no hurry (the current one has a few months to go at my current usage) I'm looking for a bargain and, preferably, genuine (not generic).

I had one US seller that ran a cartridge 3 times without a bid ... but they just didn't answer my question about shipping. (Go figure..?)

Lately, I've been getting a few hits on German sellers and have been apprehensive because of the low cost of postage - also, my german is exceedingly rusty and I wouldn't trust the translations, so I am wary on the TOS as well.

If the standard of packaging is generally like that, then expecting to get an address label and a stamp on the manufacturer's box would be normal.  I have my reservations on product safe transit...

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:02:57 AM »
Sounds very much like they're using surface mail (a boat!) instead of airmail! Madness.... there's not *that* much difference in cost price if the item is under 2kg

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:41:01 AM »
A leaky tub from Germany, in the countessa's case ;D

Perhaps the sellers in the US did not want to post to Aus. brumby? They may not have known where Australia is ;D

I certainly would not buy from a seller who couldn't manage a polite response to a query re shipping, or other queries relating to an item, before I placed my bid.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »
They're using something called Gelbe Briefpost, which is airmail, but slowly and poorly sorted before it gets to the plane. Germany used to have a reputation for high efficiency; that reputation is now shot, well and truly.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:04:27 AM »

They're using something called Gelbe Briefpost, which is airmail, but slowly and poorly sorted before it gets to the plane. Germany used to have a reputation for high efficiency; that reputation is now shot, well and truly.

One of the last countries I would have suspected of having a poor, internal, postal service!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:20 AM »
A leaky tub from Germany, in the countessa's case ;D

Perhaps the sellers in the US did not want to post to Aus. brumby? They may not have known where Australia is ;D

I certainly would not buy from a seller who couldn't manage a polite response to a query re shipping, or other queries relating to an item, before I placed my bid.

Yes Centuries, that was the issue.  The question they didn't answer was if they would ship to a freight forwarder in California, having set it up in Paypal.  This seemed the ideal workaround and was within their (rather comprehensive) TOS.  But I didn't get a response of any kind.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:43:56 AM »
That certainly made the process easier for the seller.

Definitely a seller to be avoided brumby.

I have just glanced at the time.... :nightnight: :sleep: