Author Topic: Is this reasonable postage  (Read 11705 times)

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
Is this reasonable postage
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
Is this reasonable postage

Item weighs 500grams and is just under 300 cube.

Its a retail box with no packing at all, just a Oz post sticker stick to it.

$20 is this too much considering no packing at all was done?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Is this reasonable postage
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »
Hawk, from which and to which state (and is it country or metropolitan zone) was it sent?

What are the dimensions of the parcel?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »
But where is the parcel traveling from and to Hawke?  i.e. Darwin to Tassie is a massive cost...WA to NSW or anywhere else..lol...also prohibitive at times.

If within the same state, as you know, it would be much less...and on the east coast only, usually around 12.00 reg perhaps from say Vic to NSW....

cueperkins

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:05 AM »
sniped by the countess....*missed it by that much*

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
From Sydney metro to Adelaide Metro

270mmx270mmx300

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »
Snipe, Cupie!

Yes, postage charges can vary considerably... It's hard to say whether the postage charge is reasonable without a little more information. If it's local, I would not consider it reasonable, but of course if the overall deal is good value, it may still overall work out as being a very good price taken in context.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »
Ah, okay.

Hawk, I calculate the actual postage cost in that case (assuming postcodes of 2001 to 5001, just for the purpose of reckoning) to be $10.45. The cost of the box... well, I suppose you could add $2 for that. Let's say $13 for box + postage. That means around $7 for "handling".

It wouldn't seem reasonable as a stand-alone charge - but I might still buy something with that postage charge if it's a flat rat and the total cost is good.

cueperkins

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »
I get the same using this calculator at Aust Post....  http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/aus_parcel.asp

Lodgement Postcode: 2000
Destination Postcode: 5000
Parcel Weight: Up to 1 kg
Select Service

Total Charge    $10.45    $9.90    $16.30    $11.30    $20.90    $15.90

The 20.90 is express platinum....lol....

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »
Oh Hawk..the dimensions I used were 30cmx30x30.

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 11:58:30 AM »
There was no box no packing, they stuck the AP label straight on the side of the orignal box.

Its a AP label that they printed and slapped on the orignal box, no effert all all.

They were lucky in that the box was damaged (squashed) but the item was OK. considering a section of the item is breakable and the whole thing would be rubish without that part.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »
AAAGH!

Hawk, this is eerily reminiscent of the bad packaging I experienced with an Italian seller. (As in - no packaging. Just a thin plastic layer which held the boxes of the games together.)

In that case - no. Not reasonable. I'd be asking the seller for an explanation, pointing out how easily the item could have been damaged. :spanishinq:

Was the box something you wanted to keep? (Like a game box, which can often be as important as the game itself?)

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 12:22:41 PM »
Was the box something you wanted to keep? (Like a game box, which can often be as important as the game itself?)

The box is not that important and will still do its job.

I didn’t consider a box that constructed with the strength of a weeties box to be suitable and I would have expected more effort on the seller part.

I am bothered with asking for a please explain, I was just going to give them 4 stars on How reasonable were the postage and handling charges?
Because I consider them over the top all things considered.

I am a little pissed off with a few sellers lately.

I had a battery seller from China that short changed me and a pair of batteries and took about 6 emails to sort out and the same seller supplied battiers that were only 20% of rated capacity. I neged them.

I have been waiting nearly 4 weeks for something from a seller in the US, that is after I waited for him to send a combined invoice for postage as he had agreed prior to me bidding.
Did I get a revised invoice,
NO I got a non paying bidder dispute instead.

So I am not feeling very generous at the moment 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 12:27:19 PM »
I can't blame you at all, Hawk.

It might be worth letting the seller know you're dissatisfied, though - he might give you a partial refund of the postage cost since he has obviously made an almost 100% profit on it. But if you don't feel like doing that, what can I say? The seller did put himself in a position that left him open to your dissatisfaction.

cueperkins

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
This seller has charged you double the true postage.....so I'd give them far less than four stars.  I'd be asking for a refund of the overcharge actually, before leaving any feedback.

I've bought 6 items recently and paid rego on all of them....Four sellers, even after assuring me they would register, completely forgot to do so.  I use B/deposit, and this type of tardiness, places my purchase at even more risk than it needs to be.  I'm already taking a risk that the seller will honour the contract of sale as a b/deposit customer but some have to double that risk. 

Only 3 have refunded the 2.85 overcharge so far and the other one seems to think it's a tip.  sheesh.  It's getting so you have to give full instructions to a seller before paying?  Surely not.....I'll bet a pound to a peanut that if I used Paypal, they'd be pushing rego down my throat...but when it's DD, they forget?...how convenient *sigh*. 

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
It might be worth letting the seller know you're dissatisfied,

He will know if he reads his FB

I am not bothered about a refund, I dont care about the money, its the fact that he put in no effort at all to pack or protect the item.

Its the same for the battery seller, after emailing back and forth, I didnt even bother about a dispute, I just negged him with an explanation for ever one to see he is a rip off merchant..